Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What is Style?

One of my first blog entries was titled "What is Style?" It offered my definition of style at the beginning of English 328. Here was my original definition.

Style is the organization of thoughts onto a medium. The medium could be physical such as a piece of paper, canvas, or piece of clay. It could also be abstract like a website or a piece of music. Often the organization could use colors, sounds, or shape to express meaning. The placement of words, white space, and other elements could also be used.


I think I had a good start on a definition of style. Strunk and White's Elements of Style enlightened me with rules to improve the style of my writing. Many of these rules focused on punctuation, the choice of words, the use of common words and phrases, and the quality of writing. Simplifying sentences by removing unnecessary words was a suggestion in the book. Similarly, Style by Williams built upon some of the ideas in Strunk and White while adding writing layout strategies. Cohesion was explained over two chapters. Examples of sexist writing were given. The history of writing was used to explain the roots of many commonly held ideas of writing. These two books demonstrated that my definition was lacking choices about word usage, clarity, cohesion, punctuation, and even the idea that is OK to break the rules as Williams suggests near the end of Style.

The writing technology assignment forced me to think about writing utensils and the surface that I wrote on. My original definition outlines surfaces very well, but my essay focused on the raspberries which were the utensil. Putting the two together in the definition would serve well. Tools influence the way in which we write. The style is affected as well. There is a relationship between the technology of writing, the style and the content. I can express much more information on a computer word processing program than a rock in a garden with dandelions. It is also easier to read the word document and I can change the form to a printed document or submit it to a publisher to be turned in a book.

In another post, "The Elements of Style", I wrote

Upon reading elements of style, I realize the change in language over time. Many phrases and words in the book are part of everyday speech. In the chapter entitled "Misused words and expressions", White writes about the use of "care less". (42) Often, "I could care less," is used in everyday speech. I have read in the past that the proper phrase is "I couldn't care less."


This post suggests that writing (and style) evolve over time. Common misuse of the phrase has changed the interpretation of the phrase to mean something that the words do not suggest. Following style guidelines can help with interpretation. A person learning English who must think about the meaning of each word would be confused by the misuse of this phrase. Good style is about articulating your point in a way best served by the intended audience.

I wrote about web comics. Artists and writers working on comics often push the envelope when creating their art form. They use unique styles, and sometimes draw on old artistic techniques to express words and ideas. They use the visual imagery to express meaning in addition to text. My original definition includes use of different mediums, but I could add more about the use of imagery in relation to expressing thoughts.

The Internet has changed the ideas of style, as have the efforts of Apple and Microsoft to bring desktop computers into our lives. My widescreen monitor displays web pages and word documents differently offering horizontal space. Another person designing a webpage will not see what I see. The appearance is different and I may react to it in another way. Style is influenced by the author's individual characteristics, and by the physical and virtual representation. The reader or users view of the information is also influenced by this presentation as well as their own baggage.

Blogging offers a relaxed atmosphere where I can write prose without as much thought to form. Function is more important. I can change the appearance of many elements, but not all.

Style reflects the presentation of content.

No comments: